Monday, January 02, 2006

Journey to the team of my dreams...

I've been playing the Yahoo version of Fantasy Golf for several years, and finally finished in the top 10,000 this year. To me, that was pretty good... not awesome, but pretty darn good.

When PGATour.com came out with the opportunity to play league fantasy golf as well as a few variations, well... I just couldn't resist.

The last couple of weeks I've been familiarizing myself with some of the abbreviations, and learning my way around the site. Remember... I'm a rank rookie, and have no coach.

My first task was to choose a name for my team. Now, I don't know much about picking team names, but I do know a little about picking domain names, especially when you're looking for great indexing.

For years, I've owned 123Go4Success.com and it got great indexing. Here's a tip I learned from one of my own copywriting coaches... it's not alphanumeric... it's numericalpha. So, why not use the 123Go3SuccessGolf name?

So, after spending many hours reading, clicking on links, thinking about how to do all this, I was finally able to customize my "draft list". I was still a little clueless going into this process, but soon began to feel somewhat comfortable.

The first unknown for me was the draft order. With 8 teams, I could be first last or anywhere in between. I got lucky with the team name, as the draft order (announced as random) was numericalpha.

I had chosen Tiger Woods as #1 not really believing I'd get him. In fact, I was actually aiming more for spot 5 through 8 and had loaded my sheet accordingly. Interestingly, I got Sean O'Hair on my second pick.

Spot #3, where I was again picking first, I got Fred Funk, and then Chad Campbell in the #4 spot. Five through 10 were just as rewarding... Billy Mayfair, Ted Purdy, Carl Petterson, Bob Tway and Bob Estes round out my full team.

To see exactly why I chose these players, stick with me as I write about each one individually. You see, I took the time to completely customize the first 80 slots on my draft list, once I figured out that each team would choose one player in turn,

Ok, on to my personal analysis of each player and why I put them on my draft sheet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home