Monday, January 02, 2006

Tiger Woods, everyone's #1 pick... and he's now on my team

Yeah, Tiger Woods was my #1 pick on my draft sheet. But I never in my wildest dreams thought I'd actually get that pick.

You see, he brings a special set of stats that may or may not lend themselves to being the "franchise" player.

Here's why you need to really pay attention to everyone else.

1. He doesn't play that many tournaments. In 2005, he only played in 22 tournaments. The PGATour Fantasy Golf season is 31 tournaments long. That means I'll have to keep a close eye on Tiger's schedule. He's already announced he's playing in the Dubai tournament, so will reduce his PGA schedule by still one more game. This is also a Ryder Cup year, so he'll be otherwise occupied that week.

2. Tiger is ranked #1 in "Birdie/Bogey" and "Par Breaker %" stats. That means he finds a way to win, no matter what kind of day he's having. Unfortunately, there are 10 different stats, some of which he doesn't rank very well.

PGATour Fantasy Golf rewards you in a total of 10 different stats; Drives 300+ yards, Fairways Hit, Greens Hit, Successful Scrambles, One Putts, Scoring Average, Total Eagles (includes Double Eagles), Total Birdies, Bounce Back, Money Earned.

Now, Tiger is a wonderful driver, but I'm not sure I can count on him week in and week out to produce a high percentage of drives over 300 yards. Great news! I just peeked at the "official rules" and here's how Driving Distance is selected and measured. They'll select 2 holes per round and measure all drives, no matter where they land.

Fairways hit is where Tiger tends to fall down a bit. I'll have to be careful to pair him up with one of my more accurate drivers, like Fred Funk. As an overall ball striker, Tiger ranked #9.

When it comes to the short game statistics... Tiger is ranked #17, and even in Putting stats he's only ranked #13.

What makes him really special though are these categories... Successful Scrambles, Scoring Average, Total Eagles, Total Birdies, Bounce Back and Money Earned.

And for those reasons, he's the most coveted player around. Lucky for me, he's on my team and for 21 tournaments or so, you can bet I'll be playing him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home