Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Shari's picks for the Buick Open... will they propel her to the top?

Finally, I get to let the Tiger out of the tank! Yes, Tiger Woods is playing this week, defending his title at the Buick Open. Look for this to be the classic battle between Phil Mickleson and Tiger Woods.

The weather is perfect, no rain for the 3 weeks, in the mid 60's and no fog, either. That should make both courses fast, firm and fun.

The South Course has been "toughened", getting ready for the US Open in 2008. Length is the big draw on the South Course. With the dry conditions, I look for the big boys to let the air out as often as possible. Don't ya know I'll be rooting for both Tiger Woods and Chad Campbell to pull out the big sticks.

So, who else is on my team and why?

Little known stat: Kevin Sutherland has never missed the cut at Torrey Pines, and has four Top 10 finishes in 10 starts. Yes, I'll be playing him this week.

Carl Pettersson is an eagle hunting Swede who's been playing very well, especially at the end of the week. He also finished second here in 2003.

Of course I've got Billy Mayfair playing. "Mr Birdie" is an eagle waiting to land, and the greens at Torrey Pines are very Mayfair friendly.

The last guy on my team is Ben Crane. While he's off to a bit of a slow start, he has made 13 consecutive cuts going back to 2005. In my book, playing on the week-end gets me points. Besides that, he's an Oregonian. We don't have many of those guys in the PGA.

Here's my lineup and where I'm looking for points.

Tiger Woods, drives over 300 yds, Successful Scrambles, One Putts, Birdies, Scoring Average, Money with a very strong assist in all the other categories. After all, he was ranked #1 in the all-around.

Chad Campbell, drives over 300 yds, putting (his putter is smoking), and all around help. Chad's confidence is at an all-time high right now, and that alone will carry him forward.

Billy Mayfair, short game assistance including birdies and eagles. When he's made the cut at the Chrysler Classic, he's also made the cut at the Buick, so I fully expect Billy to be playing on the weekend.

Carl Pettersson should provide support points. If he has some breakout rounds, he could be most valuable in the par breakers... scoring birdies and eagles at opportune times. He may be my "bounce back" points man.

Kevin Sutherland loves Torrey Pines. He's a Californian, and even though he's playing way south of his home, the good weather should bring out the best in him. I look for points in driving accuracy, as well as support all around.

Ben Crane is a rookie in this event. I selected him for his tenacity. He's not missed a cut in a long time. I expect all around support from him on the weekend. Should his putter get hot, he could land some big points.

Let the Buick Open begin, under sunny skies!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home