Wednesday, January 23, 2008

My Fantasy Team for the Buick Invitational

With the weather once again looking like an issue, I'm choosing playing experience at Torrey Pines as my primary qualification. For the most part, I've chosen players who have made the cut here more than they've missed it.

Tiger Woods is kind of a "no brainer". He's after his fourth consecutive win on a course he's played many, many times in his storied career. I would NEVER bet against a win if there's a record to attain. Only three other players have won the same event four consecutive times. Woods has won the Arnold Palmer Invitational four times. Woods will have a chance later this season to win his fourth in a row at both the WGC-CA Championship and the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational.

Stewart Cink has played well at Torrey Pines finishing as high as T10 in recent years. My other choices were Rory Sabbatini, Aaron Baddeley, Geoff Oglivey or Trevor Immelman, and Cink had a better record than any of the other player.

Tim Clark has missed one cut in the past 4 years and has finished as high as T10, with another finish at 12. Again, the other possible players were Woody, Austin, Hunter Mahan, Stephen Ames, and Brett Wetterich.

Charles Howell III has the highest (non-winning) finish amongst my team, finishing 2nd last year. He played in the final two-some with Tiger more than once, and understand the pressure. I look for him in the top ten again this year. My other choices were Boo Weekly, Stuart Appleby, Nick O'Hern, and Mike Weir.

Brandt Snedeker gets a spot on my team this year after his play last year. He learned a lot about pressure, finishing alone in third place. If I could have had a second player from this group, it would have been Mark Calcavecchia. The remaining players in this group were Robert Allenby, John Senden, and Rod Pampling, who has also played well here.

Jerry Kelly rounds out my team. He's had his up's and down's with Torrey Pines, but his opening play at the Sony Open leads me to believe he's my man. None of the other players could show me a better record. Those not selected were Camillo Villegas, Carl Petterson, Sean O'Hair, and Peter Lonard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home