Saturday, December 29, 2007

My picks for the Mercedes-Benz Championship Tournament.

I love this tournament. It's a restricted field, composed of last year's tournament winners... well most of them. This year, 34 golfers will assemble for the challenge.

Now, working under the new PGATour Fantasy Golf format, I've selected my players.

My "numero uno" player is Jim Furyk. He has a home there, and really understands the elevation changes, the wind changes, and the very subtle greens. This represents the first time in three years I've had Jim on my team.

I've selected Scott Verplank as my second player. He's also new to my lineup. He's not played in the Mercedes-Benz Championship since 2002. However, over the past year, his game has matured and become very solid.

In the number three slot is Charles Howell III. This is his first return to the Mercedes since 2003. However he has routinely come to the islands for the first tournaments, starting with the Sony Open.

I have Mark Calcavecchia on my team for the first time. He's a Mercedes veteran and should add stability to my team. He's played well, finishing T-5 in 2002.

Chad Campbell returns to my team this year. He's got plenty of experience at the Mercedes Championship and I really expect him to finish well this year.

My final active player is always a fan favorite... Fred Funk. He's also my oldest player, shortest driver... Depending upon how points are awarded this year, Fred can be a real asset as he drives the ball straight as an arrow, has an awesome short game, and is an accurate putter.

I've chosen Joe Ogilvie as the highest FedEx point golfer and have selected the final round winner's score as 71.

I believe tomorrow they are opening the leagues and I'll find one to join.

4 Comments:

Blogger John Hohlen said...

Shari:

I think you'd really enjoy playing this new fantasy golf game:

http://www.ProTourFantasyGolf.com

The basic object of the game is to pick 3 golfers for each week's PGA golf tournament with the option to substitute 1 golfer with another after the 2nd round. But a golfer can only be used TWICE* throughout the course of the PTFG season (24 weeks). Whatever money each golfer wins is how many points you get.

John Hohlen

2:10 PM  
Blogger Shari Thomas said...

Hi John,

Thanks for the invite.

If you look at my previous years' records, for one reason or another, it's been tough to finish.

For that very reason I'm sticking to the "free entry" stuff... I know, it's hard to win prizes when you're playing for free, but it's the chase I like best.

Shari

2:30 PM  
Blogger John Hohlen said...

Okay. Maybe some of your other readers will consider playing. The nice thing about this game is that even if you fall behind early, you can still win a session prize. A session is a 4-week mini-season where top performers win cash prizes. There are 6 sessions throughout the 24 week season.

3:17 PM  
Blogger Shari Thomas said...

Hi John,

I'm more than happy to leave the link up. Hopefully I'll send some players your way, too.

10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home