Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Sony Open, and I think I've got it figured out

Keeping in mind that the ONLY thing that counts this year is FedEx Points from week to week, here is my team for the Sony Open being played at Waialae CC, Honolulu, Hawaii.

Once again, I'm selecting Jim Furyk as he knows this course like the back of his hand. He's finished in the top 10 here for the past two years and has been steadily moving up the earnings board. His unorthodox swing has proven to serve him well as he finished 2007 #2 on the World Money List.

Stephen Ames is my second choice. He played very well at the Mercedes Benz Championship and simpy ran into a couple of buzz saws (Daniel Chopra and Steve Stricker). I don't look for a repeat of the DQ last year. Although it's been a while since he's had success here, at the Sony Open, I believe it's time for a break out. He has his family with him... and that could make all the difference in the world.

Last year, Charles Howell III dueled with Luke Donald for second. He likes this course, knocked all the rust off at the Mercedes and could be a serious factor here. Over the years, he's finished in the top 10 several times. (I think he likes the flat course.)

Jerry Kelly is the "best kept secret" here. When you look at "overall returns", Jerry ranks the highest over the years... He simply loves this course and plays well year in and year out.

Pat Perez is now 32 and after last year, my confidence in him has grown. He did well here last year, and I'm giving him another opportunity.

Chad Campbell wasn't in the best of shape for the Mercedes, having taken a long vacation, and yet he still turned in solid round. He's done well at the Sony Open, and gets my nod again this year.

Now, I picked my guys based on my knowledge, analysis, and gut feelings. After I selected my team, I peeked in on the experts. The guy who has best record so far, agrees with me... Jim Furyk to win.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home