Sunday, June 29, 2008

Bet'cha wonder where I've been...

Life has been rather busy for the past few months. Now, that doesn't mean I've dropped out of the PGA Tour Fantasy Golf League. No, I'm still playing, just haven't had time to post.

Besides that... I'm not in love with the way we're playing this year. You see, I'm more of a "handicapper" than a "pick the winner" type player. I love to analyze the stats and pick players to win certain skills categories. This year, it's all about picking who will finish highest on Sunday.

With that said, let's just say I'm mediocre at best. Heck, my best weeks have been when I've "thrown darts" at the selection process.

At least the powers that be have broken this whole thing into several segments.

I finished segment 1 (The West Coast Swing) in 2855 place with 35,980 points. Here's what I can report regarding the last 8 weeks of that segment.

Phil Mickleson did have that breakout week... and he was on my team! However the other five guys really let me down. Only Rory Sabbatini and Charles Howell III even made the cut, and they finished way down the leaderboard. The rest of my team, Jim Furyk, Brandt Snedeker, and Charles Warren all got early starts on the next week.

Week 8 there are no results available... wasn't that a match-play week? Guess I didn't sign up for that game this year. They've got me so confused...

On week 9 I returned to less than mediocre as only 4 of my guys made the cut, and then didn't play particularly well, except Robert Allenby, who earned 1033 points. Joe Durant, Charlie Wi, and Boo Weekly played on the weekend, while Mark Wilson and Bill Hass headed to the next tournament site.

Week 10 was even more disappointing. This was the Pods Championship, where I had dismal results. Three guys made the cut. Robert Allenby, Mark Calcaveccia, and Steven Ames got to play on the weekend, but weren't the least bit impressive. Ernie Els, JB Holmes, and Dudley Hart moved ahead to the next tournament as they all failed to make the cut.

Finally... my MAN is playing... Tiger Woods! He didn't disappoint either as he swept the Arnold Palmer Invitational. This time, the supporting cast played much better, providing me a total of 5459 points. Only one problem... all those points were overshadowed by everyone else who had a lot more points. For the week, I was in 7281 place. See what I mean?

Ok, here's the supporting cast... Brandt Snedeker, Chad Campbell, Steve Marino, and Kenny Perry. Only Luke Donald failed to make the cut.

At the World Golf Championship, I actually had points on all six guys (that's the first time this year). Too bad Tiger Woods didn't win again. Oh well, my team (including Tiger) was Vijay Singh, Aaron Baddeley, Brandt Snedeker, Ernie Els, and Charles Howell III.

My team tanked at the Zurich Classic in New Orleans... C'mon guys, you're supposed to party AFTER the tournament ends. Mark Calcaveccia, Kevin Sutherland and Joe Durant barely made the cut and all stumbled home at the end of the pack. Chad Campbell, Stewart Cink, and Steve Marino couldn't get out of there fast enough. Would you believe a total of 251 points for the whole weekend?

By now, I'm throwing darts at the line up to see if I can do any better.

I get better results at the Shell Houston Open. My darts told me to select Chad Campbell, Steve Stricker, Stuart Appleby, Robert Allenby, John Mallinger, and Dudley Hart. Only the last two guys took a hike eariy.

I'll be back with results of the Southern Swing, a nine week sprint.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home